In the past month or so, I've started noticing that my vaginal odor has changed. It's become more pungent (and NOT in a pleasant way). I cannot figure out what is causing it, but I'd really like for it to go back to what it was before. Have any of you ever experienced something like this before? What did you do?
Things to know about me:
- I'm 24, sexually active, and I've only been with one guy (my boyfriend) in the past 2 years.
- I've been taking Mononessa birth control for a little over 4 years.
- I haven't made any changes to my hygiene routine. I don't douche, I don't wash my vagina with soaps. I do shave my vaginal area to keep it neat and tidy, but it's not like I do it every day. The shaving cream I use has never irritated me or caused problems in the past, so I don't imagine that's the problem either.
- I indulge in some fast food and sweets from time to time, but overall I've always maintained a well-balanced, healthy diet. I don't smoke, and only drink once in a while.
- I recently started taking fish oil supplements, which I've heard rumors can cause "fishy" body odor, but I don't know if that's true.
I've always heard that douching is a bad thing, but coming from my doctor, I'm wondering if it's okay to do it since she means for it to be a one time thing? She's never steered me wrong yet. But I'm still hesitating.
Any other advice or suggestions as to what you think might be the problem or what you think might help would be very much appreciated.