2:12 am - 11/28/2012



So, backstory: about a month ago I had UTI symptoms (the feeling I had to pee a lot and some lower abdominal pain).  I went to the doctor and she did a urine test which came back positive for a UTI.  I was given antibiotics which I then totally screwed up taking.

So, earlier this week,I went back to the doctor with the same symptoms again (no burning during urination, just the pressure feeling and some cloudy urine).  She didn't test this time because I had taken a OTC medication which discolored my urine.  She gave me a shorter dose of a super strong antibiotic and sent me on my way. 

Now, it's 5 days later and I've finished the medication, and my symptoms are better, but not totally gone.  The symptoms have also been lessened greatly in the past week by taking OTC cranberry-based remedies.

It's possible I'm freaking myself out, but I'm worried I might have PID. So, my question is, how do I know?  and is there really a way to test for PID? Also, I don't have a regular gyno, so is this something I could go to Planned Parenthood for?

A couple of facts:

-I'm sexually active with one person who is STI free and we always use condoms
-I have, however, had a couple of bouts of bad behavior in regards to keeping toys clean in the previous month
-I'm 24 and a cis straight female

Thanks in advance!
archangelbeth 28th-Nov-2012 03:23 pm (UTC)
PID usually presents with a really sensitive cervix. (I have heard that the test is called a "chandelier test" with dark humor-type people: poke the cervix, and the patient screams and leaps for the ceiling to cling to the chandelier. This may be anecdotal, but is illustrative of the amount of sensitivity they mean.)

So if you poke your cervix a little, gently, and don't find it intensely painful, I'd go pee in a cup again to make sure the UTI is gone -- and if it is, it may just be bladder habit. ("Dear bladder, I just got up a little while ago to get the kid to school, and am going back to bed. I peed when I got up. Why do I have to pee again before I got to bed?" Bladder: You just do, okay???!!!)

You could also go to Planned Parenthood -- or even a regular GP, if you're mentally comfortable with one poking you there -- and have them double-check for things like inflammation, etc.

I hope that's useful data!
This page was loaded Apr 25th 2018, 12:53 am GMT.