betterbebalboa (betterbebalboa) wrote in vaginapagina,

Finding a therapist for childhood sexual abuse

A longtime friend of mine recently confided to me that she was sexually abused for years as a child by a family friend. Her parents have offered to pay for therapy, but she's never gone before, and tends to have a really difficult time opening up to new people - let alone about this. Right now, she's freaked out about the number of options and doesn't know how to choose. She has specified that she would like to speak to a woman, and that she would feel more comfortable with a psychologist [edited to mention not-so-relevant mention of psychiatrists].

Does anyone know of any great female psychologists specializing in sexual abuse/sexual assault in the Lakeland, FL area? Alternately, does anyone know of any resources for finding one? I think any guidance would make my friend feel a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for any and all advice.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded