(just for the record im 45 and have had heavy periods for 6-7 years)
So if you have Heavy Periods here are some parameters the obgyns talked to me about
- One box of 40 tampons should last a full period (you may need different sizes but a box a month is standard) if you are going though much more than this talk to your doctor.
- 4-7 days of period is normal if you have more regularly talk to your doctor
- if you have a heavy menstrual cycle for more than 4 cycles talk to your doctor
- if your period gets heavy for no reason all of a sudden talk to your doctor
- your cycle should be regular it may be 24-32 days long but if you cant really tell month to month when its going to be, talk to your doctor.
- if your having clots bigger than your fingernail talk to your doctor
- If you go though more than 3 super tampons or pads in an hour go to the ER
- if you go though 2 or more super tampons or pads for 3 hours go to the ER (I mean 6 total)
If you get heavy bleeding, but arnt at the levels I talked about, see about taking an iron supplement and a bcomplex supplement, the b helps you absorb the iron. And drink plenty of fluid as a bit of insurance. But yup talk to your doc.