debspeaks (debspeaks) wrote in vaginapagina,

Fungal Dermatitis

On Monday I noticed an odd rash near my girly bits. At first I thought I had a bug bite or ingrown hair but when I got a mirror and looked I found a rash the length of two finger knuckles - red, slightly raised, and a little bumpy. It doesn't really itch, but burns, and is so low and so far out on the labia it actually chafes (on clothing, when walking in general, etc).

I went to Planned Parenthood today and was slight disturbed when the nurse practitioner said "well I'm not exactly sure what that is..."
She ultimately diagnosed me with "fungal dermatitis" and prescribed a topical cream (rX). She also gave me instructions for 2 OTC things to try (each separate components of what she gave me today) if it doesn't start to clear up in a couple of days.

When I got home I did a bit of research on fungal infections and, of course, there are several different types. What I found is that you can get a yeast infection on your skin (usually armpit or groin areas where there is moisture and creasing). That makes a lot of sense.

So here is my question. I am obviously going to use the cream, but I have a feeling I should treat myself for a vaginal yeast infection as well due to the proximity of the infection.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, can you share what you did to treat things quickly? It's not particularly painful, but it is incredibly irritating...
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded