1:26 pm - 05/23/2010

I think I gave my boyfriend a yeast infection...

 My boyfriend and I have condomless sex - I am on the pill and we have both been tested for STDs, so that is not something I am concerned about.

On Thursday we had sex for the first time in 5 days because he had been out of town. The sex was painless initially, but toward the end I felt some irritation and later that night I was very sore and my vulva was burning. The next day we had sex and it was painful and itchy for me, and later on in the day he said that the head of his penis was inflamed and itchy. By the end of the day, I had full-blown yeast infection symptoms, and last night he came to me complaining that his penis was getting worse, felt extremely itchy, and very painful anytime he gets an erection.

Anyway... I looked it up and apparently uncircumcised men are a little more susceptible to getting them from sex, which makes sense because he is my first uncircumcised partner and I've never had an issue with it before.

I've always been able to clear up my infections using Monistat, and I saw online that men can use it too as a topical cream. My sister recommended Tinactin instead of Monistat, though. I suppose I was just wondering if anybody else has experience with this - what method did you use? I'm trying to decide if we should just head to the doctor together and get Diflucan, or if it can be cleared up with an OTC antifungal.
moshfloorkiller 23rd-May-2010 06:10 pm (UTC)
i've given my fiance a yeast infection once as well.
he used Monistat (or a generic probably) as a topical cream and it went way in about a week (he got the 7 day treatment)
i remember him telling me he bought a tub of plain yogurt that he would "dip" his penis in though to soothe the itch/inflammation!
mirmarmelade 23rd-May-2010 06:11 pm (UTC)
Guys can you the same cream as you do, apply twice a day for a week and it'll be fine. When I had a very persistent YI my doctor just prescribed me an extra tube to give my boyfriend in case he had an asymptomatic infection and we were reinfecting each other.

About being uncircumsized, it might be a factor bit it is still very uncommon. I live in a part of the world where circumcision is rare (it's only done for religious reasons) and it's very uncommon for men to have (sympomatic, at least) yeast infections.
dehaywardati 23rd-May-2010 07:41 pm (UTC)
my boy just got done using some kind of cream meant for jock itch/athlete's foot. the RN at his college's clinic recommended it--anti-fungal cream twice a day for a week in the morning and night, and some anti-fungal powder during the day to keep the area dry.

he is circumcized and got it after having sex with me as i was just starting to show symptoms of a YI (due to antibiotics).
lupinelullaby 23rd-May-2010 09:17 pm (UTC)
I've never had a yeast infection, but my husband is prone to them (especially after a round of antibiotics) and he's never had luck with the topical creams. But Diflucan knocks it out for him every time.
nickelshoe 23rd-May-2010 09:21 pm (UTC)
I believe Tinactin has a different active ingredient than Monistat (but it will depend on the particular product you pick up--spray versus cream or whatever). Both will be anti-fungal, but may work better against certain strains. If you're pretty sure he got it from you, then I'd recommend trying something with the same active ingredient you find in a woman's yeast infection treatment, whether it's Monistat or a jock itch treatment, just because yeast infections can be caused by a different fungus than jock itch. But either one could definitely work.
unloveme 23rd-May-2010 11:47 pm (UTC)
We ended up buying Monistat for me and Lotrimin for him. Both of them have miconazole nitrate as the main active ingredient, but we figured a spray would be easier/less messy for him... we shall see what happens, hopefully it goes away!
queensugar 23rd-May-2010 10:48 pm (UTC)
I've given my husband a few REALLY bad YIs, and our tried, tested and true solution is to massage OTC YI cream (Monistat, Canesten, whatever) over the area. Make sure to get it under the foreskin and let it percolate in there.

In addition, twice a day, we dip his penis into a carton of plain yogurt with acidophilus for about 10 minutes. It helps the symptoms (nice and cooling) and treats the YI as well.
oopsiedaisies7 26th-May-2010 04:11 am (UTC)
I would also suggest apple cider vinegar for future reference, or if the antifungals don't work! My boyfriend's awful yeast infection cleared up really quickly (2 days, though I think he continued it for a few days after that -just in case-) after soaking his peen--foreskin pulled back--in slightly diluted ACV for 10 minutes 2x daily!
This page was loaded Apr 25th 2018, 12:44 am GMT.