dumplingqueen (dumplingqueen) wrote in vaginapagina,

IUD insertion & questions

I got my Mirena IUD inserted on Thursday (about 5 days ago) and while I’m happy it’s been taken care of, it was not a pleasant experience, leading me to be paranoid about perforation and all other side effects.

I was not on my period and got a prescription of miso to soften my cervix, which I could not find the day before my appointment due to my family misplacing it. I found it the morning of my appointment and was told by someone on the phone to take it orally, which I did. I then made it to my appointment and was feeling severely nauseated and dizzy. I was given some snacks (which I appreciated) and 800 mg of Ibuprofen. About twenty minutes later my appointment began and when I spoke to the nurse she said I was given the wrong directions and I should have placed the pills on the inside of my cheeks or under my tongue so they could be absorbed faster.

Okay, we’ll try it anyway. I got a pap smear before since I needed one anyway and when we tried measuring my uterus for the IUD it was EXTREMELY PAINFUL. So after about 5 minutes of attempting to do this and my cervix not being soft enough we stopped. I had some light bleeding but nothing too concerning. I went to go eat lunch and came back to the clinic to take a second dose of the miso and after waiting an hour we started again.

Thankfully putting in the speculum was bearable. My cervix was numbed and we started the procedure again. I guess my uterus was lifted and so pressure was applied to align it (I’m assuming), causing the WORST pain I have ever felt in my entire life. It even got to the point where I asked her to stop the procedure and just take it out. It was placed inside of me and bad cramping followed. I then went to the bathroom and threw up (from the double dose of miso and the stress). When I came back we did an ultrasound to make sure everything was in place since I was in so much pain during the procedure. She said everything looked like it was in the right place. The nurse was absolutely wonderful and really concerned about my pain. She said she “could tell” it would be a difficult procedure for me and was really comforting overall.

I did research prior to deciding to get the IUD and haven’t read any accounts that are similar to my insertion experience. Even my sister told me the 800 mg of Ibuprofen would be enough, which was obviously not the case. Since Thursday I’ve had some light spotting and cramps that come and go. Now I’m a bit concerned about the possibility of perforation. While I trust that everything was done correctly, how can I be sure this didn’t happen (especially since I was in so much pain)? How long should I wait till I go back to get it checked up on? Also, what does it mean if your uterus is lifted? Is this something I should be concerned about?

EDIT: My IUD expelled! I was laying in bed tonight and I could feel something poking at me and was hoping it would be the strings since I was warned the strings would soften over time. I went to check and felt something distinctly hard and plastic! I'm not in any pain - just the light cramping from before. I'm super bummed. It's only been 5 days since I had this inserted and considering how the insertion went I don't know if I'd want to try again any time soon. I'm going to try to go to a clinic tomorrow and get work off early since I doubt it's okay for me to have it sitting in there for a while. How many days should I wait at most? My schedule is kind of hectic and I definitely don't want to pull it out or anything. I'm just hoping I can get an appointment.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded