10:39 pm - 05/07/2009

Cherry-sized bulge near the OPENING of my vagina?

Hi everyone,

I am a sexually active 18-year-old. I recently checked myself out in the mirror and discovered something inside my vagina that I'm a bit concerned about. Just behind my hymeneal ring and on my top vaginal wall (when lying on one's back) is this lump. It seems to be some kind of relatively firm, ball-like mass about the size of a marble. I can feel it with my index finger about an inch or so in. It does not hurt in any way (even when touched) and looks almost like a tiny brain. When I open my labia and push out as if to pee, it protrudes very slightly. When I finger myself, the back of my vagina is very smooth, but it seems as though the entrance of my vagina is quite corrugated. I've been searching the Internet for the past few hours and have seen a lot of questions like mine but no real answers. I plan on seeing my gyno soon, but can anyone offer me a peace of mind right now? Does this sound like an STI? Has this happened to you?

Thank you SO much for your help!
analogwatch 8th-May-2009 02:45 am (UTC)
It might be your g-spot. A spongy mass, about an inch inside? That sounds like the most likely explanation to me.
lilium_vitiate 8th-May-2009 02:55 am (UTC)
I'm going to run with it being the entrance to your urethra. Your description sounds exactly like my vagina, so I don't think you're weird at all or need to be worried!
atalanta0jess 8th-May-2009 02:59 am (UTC)
Sounds normal. :)
ticktockman 8th-May-2009 03:13 am (UTC)
Corrugated is normal, and will appear or smooth out from time to time. The technical term is "rugose".
queensugar 8th-May-2009 03:13 am (UTC)
Sounds normal! That's where the G-spot is, and in many vaginas, it's a big ol' ball of ridged, brain-like tissue. I have the exact thing too, always have, and certainly always will.

You can actually see a photo of the ball I'm describing here (NSFW!), in the photo on the left. You can see it because the model is holding the vagina open. Notice how it looks rough and is dipping down into the vagina? Yeah, that's it.

It's 100% normal for the entrance of the vagina to be corrugated. I strongly recommend reading through this page (NSFW) from The-Clitoris.com, especially this bit:

A woman may expect the tissues around her vaginal orifice to be perfectly smooth, as they are shown in anatomy illustrations, but this is frequently not the case. The internal walls of the vagina are not smooth, they have numerous bumps and ridges, as shown in the following photograph. These bumps and ridges form during puberty, as a result of increased estrogen levels. They exist because the vagina must be elastic enough to permit the insertion of an erect penis and passage of a full term baby. These bumps and ridges are visible at the vaginal orifice in many women.

...If your finger enters into your vagina, then wiggle it slowly in a circular motion while continuing to seek out the passage of least resistance. You will feel the bumps and ridges that make up the walls of your vagina.

It doesn't at all sound like an STI.
despisemydream 8th-May-2009 09:53 am (UTC)
Wow, thank you so much for your comment. I feel tons better after going to that Web site! Much appreciated :)
rachelashleigh 9th-May-2009 01:54 am (UTC)
Oh wow really that is the G-Spot?

Ok so side story from this now, today for the first time I decided to see if I could find my G-Spot as I have now been having sex for roughly a little over a month and a half now, and I've never orgasmed from PIV sex before. So I decided today I would try to venture and look for my G-Spot, but I clearly went PAST it! And I had no idea THAT is my G-Spot, I thought it was SO much further into my vagina!

It felt kinda hard though, I think it was because I wasn't really aroused and everyone says that the most aroused the better and sponge like it becomes. You don't even understand how amazing this comment is, and how that the picture you posted along with your comment should totally be in the memories somewhere.

So I DO have a G-Spot...wow this is the best comment of my LIFE tonight. I would freaking hug you if I could right now. For the longest time I thought it was some bump in the way of my BF's penis getting in.

Now, to learn how to stimulate it and hopefully be on my way to g-spot orgasms...
queensugar 9th-May-2009 02:11 am (UTC)
Good luck!

For what it's worth, not everyone finds G-spot stimulation very comfortable. It's downright painful and not at all orgasmic for me, for instance. So have fun experimenting and if it works out, yay! And if it doesn't, don't sweat it. :)
rachelashleigh 9th-May-2009 02:18 am (UTC)
It's good to know that! I need to send my boyfriend information on how not ALL women can orgasm from PIV. He's had one partner before me, who apparently could orgasm from PIV, and he's convinced I will be able too as well when I'm more comfortable/in the right mind set (since I'm still new to having sex).

I have performance anxiety with sex as it is (since I was a virgin prior to my current boyfriend) since he's had experience, but he is really amazing and makes me feel really good about it - but my concerns are still all about him even though he tells me that I AM doing a good job.

So maybe I will enjoy it or maybe I won't...this is all really good. My bf and I are very good with communicating about this stuff, so I'm hoping that he'll be good with the kind of information such as stimulating the g-spot is not a good feeling for everyone!
running_farmer 8th-May-2009 04:00 am (UTC)
oh, i have that! i'm glad some of the other commenters know what it actually is/could be, i used to think there was something wrong with me, as well. like, why is there this lump blocking my vagina? (it doesn't actually block it, of course, just seems that way when i'm unaroused/not on my period.)
tsemed_chemed 8th-May-2009 05:42 am (UTC)
It's totally normal to have the 'rugose' lump. It's the underside of your urethra, but for me, I only really notice it when I've been having a lot of sex without enough lube, which kind of leads to UTIs for me. So I'm not sure if you just never noticed it, or if it's swollen from friction, but if it feels fine when doing a kegal or peeing you shouldn't be concerned, and you probably just never noticed. Mine was swollen for a while due to this ongoing YI/UTI combo brought on by the abundance of hetero sex I stumbled into a couple months ago, and when I did a kegal it felt like there was something stuck in my vagina. I don't have health insurance so I have just been taking cranberry pills, drinking water, and letting time do its thing.
Pinjarewali Munia 3rd-Apr-2016 12:04 pm (UTC)
Hello. I am a Virgin 23yr old..lately i noticed while fingering that the entrnce of my vaginal in front feels rugose...whereas rest of the posterior wall is smooth... Plus the rugose wall seems to divide the vagina into two columns ...i dnt knw if it was always there or is it abnormal... Plz tell :(
This page was loaded Apr 22nd 2018, 6:00 pm GMT.