9:58 pm - 05/02/2009

Urgent care/doctor for yeast infections?

Hey y'all.

At what point do you head to a doctor for a yeast infection? At what point would you head to an 'urgent care' facility? (By urgent care, I mean the sort of quasi-ER things that operate extended business hours and are for things that need attention sooner than a doctor's visit but are much more low-key than the ER.)

I ask because last Thursday I had the hints of a yeast infection (mostly by smell, and knowing after my period I tend to be more vulnerable for them), and Friday I picked up some three-day monistat generic cream. Instead of helping it seems to be making things worse. I'm not itchy (like I am typically) but it is stinging and burning. Even when I skip the cream and try to wash it off, it really doesn't seem to be helping. Even though it smells like a yeast infection, the rest of it isn't quite matching up to the two yeast infections I've had before. As well as the itching/burning in my vulva and vagina, I've had some pain in my lower abdomen and keep running to the bathroom, as well as having some yellowish-greenish mucousey discharge that honestly looks like I've just sneezed into the toilet paper.

Is this some sort of UTI-yeast infection apocolypse, or just a really bad yeast infection? Is it worth it calling my family doctor on Monday to get them to call me in some diflucan, or could they do anything for me at one of these 'urgent care' places? (I ask because the nearest urgent care is about an hour away. I do know they are able to prescribe things but I don't want to spend 2 hours driving back and forth with a pat on the head and a 'go see your gyno', especially because I'm currently in-between gynecologists and most in my hometown have about a three month waiting list.)

edit: Similarly, I should mention that I'm not sexually active, so I'm fairly certain it's not an STI I'm dealing with here.

Thanks very much in advance, sorry for the text wall! there are very few places it is appropriate to complain about problems of this sort, after all.
kissedbythegods 3rd-May-2009 02:26 am (UTC)
I would call your doctor to make an appointment to get checked out, since some of the symptoms sound like they might not be that of a YI, but I wouldn't rush to urgent care. I'm not sure where you're posting from, but there might be a hot line that you can call if you're really concerned. We have something called Telehealth in Ontario, which is a line you can call to talk to a nurse.
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 02:32 am (UTC)
I'm in northern Georgia, USA, and I'm pretty sure I can find a similar hotline. I'm just frustrated because it's really, really irritating to the point of me losing sleep, and it's exam week, so I couldn't go to see my family doctor for at least a week.
kissedbythegods 3rd-May-2009 02:37 am (UTC)
These things always have the worst timing, don't they? Honestly, if you're really stressed out I would recommend finding a hotline. Peace of mind is important, and especially when you're writing exams!

I was going to say that it sounds like it could be an STI, but I just saw your edit. I would definitely make an appointment to see your doctor, but as long as the pain isn't unbearable (or constant), you probably don't need emergency care.

Good luck with this!
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 02:44 am (UTC)
The pain pretty much is constant... I'm going to try a hotline tomorrow I think. The urgent care isn't the madhouse that is the emergency room, so it might be worth it.
(no subject) - Anonymous
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 02:48 am (UTC)
In about a day? Whoo, that's good news. Hopefully whatever I have is similar and can be similarly diagnosed. :) My doc wouldn't be able to see me (and he's just a general practitioner) so I'm leaning towards the urgent care. Thanks!
ex_skewedso 3rd-May-2009 02:38 am (UTC)
I'd say you might call your doctor first. There are other vaginal disorders (bacterial vaginitis, etc) that have symptoms similar to a YI. You may have had a reaction to the YI meds (do you always use that brand?). Sometimes Monistat causes me to itch like crazy if I don't lie down IMMEDIATELY after inserting it...
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 02:44 am (UTC)
Yep - same generic brand as usual. It's driving me absolutely up the wall because normally I grab the stuff and as soon as the cream is on there, it's instant relief.
llama4u448 3rd-May-2009 03:10 am (UTC)
If you're not in terrible pain maybe you should try treating it at home until Monday so you can go to your doctor. Get some plain yogurt and soak a tampon and insert that in your vagina and rub some of your vulva for the yeast. You should wear a pad if you rub it on your vulva.Get some 100% cranberry juice and drink in case you're developing a bladder infection. I've only had one yeast infection but I think that if they get bad they can cause pain when you urinate due to the urine touching the sensitive skin on your vulva.

If you get a fever or your back starts huring I would go to the urgent care or ER.
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 03:24 am (UTC)
I would have gone the natural route (because I am morbidly curious about the clove of garlic thing), but I am a poor college student in sort of a rural setting so I'm not sure I could even get plain yogurt. I will definitely get some cranberry juice, though.
llama4u448 3rd-May-2009 03:58 am (UTC)
They should have it at any grocery store right next to all the other yogurt.
pipiare 3rd-May-2009 04:05 am (UTC)
You would think... : / Last time I looked it wasn't there (vanilla yogurt isn't so great for making tandoori chicken).
tsemed_chemed 3rd-May-2009 06:33 am (UTC)
I would go the garlic route because it can't hurt whatever's going on. Garlic has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. The snot-like discharge makes me think more bacterial, but like they said above me you could have multiple imbalances going on.
sherrila 3rd-May-2009 05:00 am (UTC)
Did the stinging and burning start just a few minutes after using the monistat? Happened to me once: chemical burn. WAS AWFUL.
kitamad 3rd-May-2009 05:52 am (UTC)
Honestly, I think this is the type of thing urgent care clinics are for. They're basically regular doctors' offices, but walk-in based instead of appointment based. My regular doctor is almost an hour away (I moved, but didn't want to switch docs), so I go to urgent care for sinus infections and such. If I get a YI, I will call my regular doc if I don't have a diflucan refill, but if you're not sure what you have is a YI, then go to urgent care.
grandemochafrap 3rd-May-2009 06:45 am (UTC)
Tbh, the abdominal pain and green discharge would have sent me to urgent care the day I noticed them. I'm a worrier like that. Fwiw, I've gone to urgent care for non-emergencies. Sometimes things happen when the doctor's office is closed.

Does your hospital have an advice nurse hotline? You might be able to find a phone number on your medical card. Idk about all hospitals, but mine has nurses on call to anser the phone 24/7.

Best of luck to you.
This page was loaded Apr 25th 2018, 8:53 am GMT.