11:46 pm - 07/09/2008


So I went to my campus doctor because all of a sudden my labia inside and outside started itching. I had sex the next day, and my vagina was incredibly sore and swollen (which could have been because of the length of that act =( ) I've been with the same boyfriend for 1.5 years, and before that he had been with one girl. I've only had sex with my boyfriend, but prior to him I had been fingered by this other guy... and that was all.

ANYWAY, the nurse said (after taking tests) that I had BV, and although she didn't see any results confirming a yeast infection, she suspected I might still have it. So she gave me the medication which I'm currently taking.

I'm a hypochondriac. I was examining my vagina and I noticed that there is this small ridge near my labia... it's only noticeable if I spread my legs, but if I stretch that skin, you can no longer see it. It's flesh colored, and doesn't hurt or feel hard... it's just there. The nurse didn't say anything when she was looking between my legs (HA), but i'm a little nervous that it could be hpv or something.

She took a std test too (since I hadn't taken one).

Do you think it's a skin tag? Does anyone know where I can find pictures?
I looked at some hpv stuff and it doesn't look similar. It's not a bump...it's like...a semi-flat ridge.
I asked my boyfriend if he noticed it before and he said he didn't.
I don't know... it might be swollen along with my vagina so I don't know.

ANY IDEAS??? Help is greatly appreciated because I'm FREAKING out about it.
msxsadie 10th-Jul-2008 08:51 am (UTC)

Those are skin tags.

HPV and skin tags can be easily told apart. If it is a skin tag/MC (Molluscum contagiosum) then your boyfriend's parts would be have them; also, it wouldn't 'disappear' when stretching the skin around it.
If it's anything important, I doubt the nurse would've missed it - but if you can, then do get checked again, just in case.

Hope I helped.
atalanta0jess 10th-Jul-2008 04:08 pm (UTC)
Hm...I'm fairly certain that her boyfriend would NOT necessarily have them as well...I DEFINITELY have a skin tag on my labia (and have for five years!) and my partner DEFINITELY does not (despite sleeping with me without a condom for five years). Based on a quick google, I think that skin tags are (or at least, are sometimes) something different from molluscum contagiosum. I've found several sites that refer to skin tags as "Acrochordon" and say nothing about them being contagious.

OP, skin tags are common in the groin region. :)
atalanta0jess 10th-Jul-2008 04:09 pm (UTC)
Oh, but it doesn't sound like, OP, you actually have a skin tag. Sounds like its just a wrinkle or something. Skin tags are little bumps. They sort of seem like you could just grab ahold and rip them off...although I wouldn't recommend it. hehe.
miso_dorky 11th-Jul-2008 04:39 am (UTC)
yeah I got confused over what a skin tag was. I don't have MC, but I thought for some reason a skin tag was something else. I'm clueless. Anyway, my boyfriend doesn't have any abnormalities, and I don't examine myself on a normal basis so I have no way to know whether that was there before or not.
atalanta0jess 11th-Jul-2008 02:12 pm (UTC)
Yeah, a skin tag is definitely something else (not MC).
msxsadie 10th-Jul-2008 04:15 pm (UTC)
Hmm. What I meant was - if it's a 'normal' skin tag then she has nothing to worry about. If however, it is MC, then her boyfriend will most likely be infected, too.
atalanta0jess 10th-Jul-2008 04:16 pm (UTC)
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
msxsadie 10th-Jul-2008 04:16 pm (UTC)
OH, and - the photo link has an arm with MC. MC = VD form of skin tags.
lifeofsomekind 10th-Jul-2008 08:55 am (UTC)
i thought i had a wart or something near my perineum. but apparently its not. it was just... skin. it might not be anything. and hypothetically, if what you have is a wart... then at least its not life-threatening! its probably nothing.
miso_dorky 11th-Jul-2008 04:40 am (UTC)
Yeah mines soooooorta near my perineum too.
I was thinking wart -> hpv -> contagious. That's why I was freaking out haha.
tokio 10th-Jul-2008 03:29 pm (UTC)
It's probably just a tiny, natural fold in your vagina since it disappears when you stretch the area.
queensugar 10th-Jul-2008 04:36 pm (UTC)
There's all kinds of normal skin folds and ridges and stuff on the vulva. I don't think this particularly sounds like genital warts or anything else to freak out about really; without a bit more description of placement (i.e. where it is on your vulva exactly) I can't tell you if I have something similar, but it doesn't sound concerning to me, at any rate.
miso_dorky 11th-Jul-2008 05:09 am (UTC)
Here's a cartoon anatomy diagram, and I circled the area that my confusion surrounds. HAH, I'm awful with anatomy. I should really learn. It's my body afterall. Outer labia area? But lower toward my perineum.

Anyway, I'm thinking I should wait till my bv clears up because everythings puffy and itchy anyway, so maybe that's just causing normal wrinkles to puff up? I'm not sure if that happens. Ugh.
queensugar 11th-Jul-2008 05:16 am (UTC)
Heh, nice diagram. :) I don't think that spot has a particular name. At any rate, I'm having trouble seeing down there clearly right now -- but more importantly, what you described doesn't really sound like anything to fret about.

And yes, swelling in any area can cause all sorts of odd little swollen bits.
This page was loaded Apr 25th 2018, 8:31 am GMT.