10:07 pm - 05/13/2013

Hard, Painful Lump on Upper Labia Minora

Hi Everyone,

I tried to get in to see a doctor, but it seems like all of the gynecologists around here are booked for about a month out.  Anyway, this is the first time that this has ever happened to me, but I have a tender, hard lump on my labia minora.

I read about Bartholin's gland cysts and abscesses, but mine is definitely up higher/more forward than that (like, closer to my clitoris area as opposed to at my vaginal canal...not that it's anywhere near my clitoris - I'm just trying to explain where on my labia minora it is, if that makes sense)...so it's not really anywhere near the area of the Bartholin's glands.

Anyway, it just started as a hard bump that I noticed this morning while washing in the shower.  I noticed that the area felt tender, and it didn't take me long to find this when I started feeling around.  Since then, it seems to have gotten larger and more pronounced.  It might be just slightly smaller than the size of a pea right now, and it's tender to the touch and when I sit certain ways.

It seems like it's under the skin, because the skin doesn't seem abraded or abnormal...maybe just stretched out to accommodate the lump.

So...what is this, and what can I do?  Will it get a lot worse?

I guess just a little bit more background on me:  I'm 26 years old and I'm married, with no kids yet.  My husband and I are monogamous.

Oh, and I also think I have a yeast infection.  I have been getting progressively itchier for weeks now, and I think I've been smelling kind of bread-like for a few days now.  My discharge is thick and white today, so it seems like it's getting worse.  What can I use to get rid of it?  I'm mostly worried that if I use Monistat, it will somehow interfere with my Paragard (copper) IUD.

Thanks a bunch!
gatehorse 14th-May-2013 03:51 am (UTC)
I can't really help you on what it might be, but I recommend calling the doctor again and explaining the issues you're having. When I had a YI, my doctor was able to get me in same day, as opposed to scheduling routine appointments, which I often have to schedule 2 months in advance. Even without your worry of a YI, telling them you have a painful lump on your labia should be enough for them to squeeze you in within a day or two. Most doctors (in my experience at least) leave room in their schedule for at least a couple urgent or emergency appointments a day, or at the very least have the space to squeeze you in for an appointment, even if you have a bit of a wait when you get there.
flamingnik 14th-May-2013 04:25 am (UTC)
See your gyn if at all possible. I had something like that a few months ago, and they ended up draining it in the office and closing it up with a few stitches. I get them every so often in that area, but this one was making it almost impossible to walk because it got so large so quickly.

They did tell me in the future that sitz baths would help.
patchworkorange 14th-May-2013 11:18 am (UTC)
I had an IUD and could use Monistat, no problem.
evilnel 14th-May-2013 04:36 pm (UTC)
When I have a YI I get lumps that sound exactly like you are describing. They are not at the entrance of my vaginal canal but are higher up and are sort of tender, itchy, swollen. I usually put a dab of hydrocortisone cream on them (vagisil burns like a mother, lol) and start treating the YI. There's no indication that Monistat interferes with a Paragard in any way as far as I know. I have Paragard and having been treating period YIs since I got it (I get them frequently for some reason) with either OTC meds or prescription Diflucan and no problems with my IUD so far.
archangelbeth 14th-May-2013 09:55 pm (UTC)
Chances are good that even if you can't see a gyn soon, your doctor would be adequate to do a first-look -- and can certainly prescribe something for the yeast!

Good luck!
Royal blues Help!!!1st-Dec-2016 04:56 am (UTC)
I have pretty much the most similar occurrence it's on my left labia minora and it doesn't really bother me only once in a while during the day I don't really notice it but it is closer to my clitoris but not really that high and I just noticed it two days ago and I've been soaking in the tub have never had anything like this before and it was kind of freaking me out I am sexually active but the person I had sex with had a condom but the condoms kept getting really dry and I had to keep stopping during sex so I'm a little worried as to why I have this bump on the inside of my vagina the doctors are booked until January for me so I kind of would like an answer because I'm really worried any help please it's just one hard bump like a little smaller than a dime size probably like the size of a pea but it's hard and I can't really see it on the skin I can feel it and I can feel that it's inside but when I squeeze it it does hurt but that's the only time it bothers me can anyone help
Jessica Muhammad RE: Help!!!14th-Mar-2017 12:09 pm (UTC)
Did you every find out what it was? I'm going thru the same thing now.
This page was loaded Jan 20th 2018, 11:29 am GMT.