10:31 pm - 03/17/2012

Left BC pills at home - can anyone advise, esp. in the UK?

So, I'm working away from home, halfway across the country, for two and a half weeks and I stupidly forgot to bring my next pack of HBC pills (Yasmin). I have enough until Wednesday, and then it's the start of what should be my pill-free week, and I should re-start taking the Thursday afterwards. Didn't bring that spare pack with me, and I won't be home until the following Tuesday, so that's five pills I'll be missing if I don't figure something out.

I know that if I go home I'll have to use condoms for seven days after the day I get back. I'd really rather not to have to do that (although I'd even more rather not get pregnant right now, so). But it's my partner's birthday that week, and there'll be a fair bit of going out and partying, and I'd rather not mess my contraception up and have to worry about it, and neither I nor my partner really like condoms anyway.

I wondered whether it would be fine to get my partner to post up my next pack - but not sure if that's even legal, or whether it would get confiscated in the post or something? Or failing that, whether if I go to an NHS walk-in type facility while I'm here and explain the situation, whether they'll be able to write me a prescription for a spare pack? Otherwise, condoms it is :-(

Any advice appreciated!

ETA: Oh, dammit, I've just searched and there's actually not an NHS walk-in in the area where I'm staying. Sexual health clinics? Pharmacies?
psylent1 17th-Mar-2012 10:42 pm (UTC)
First thing on Monday, call the doctor who prescribed the pills and ask them to call the pharmacy nearest to where you are now and give you a one month prescription for Yasmin. If the pharmacy is out this will give them until Wednesday to have an order shipped in. P.S. Not sure which country you're in, so sorry if my answer is not feasible where you are.

Edited at 2012-03-17 10:45 pm (UTC)
silvers_shadows 17th-Mar-2012 10:50 pm (UTC)
Does the pack have the pharmacy label still on it? It *should* be okay to be mailed to you if so (especially if it's in the original box), if you can get a copy of the prescription to go in with it that would help.

The fact the Post Office sucks is a whole other issue - get it sent Recorded Delivery, next day guaranteed if you can.
tethys89 17th-Mar-2012 11:04 pm (UTC)
If there's a normal NHS GP clinic nearby you might be able to get an appointment there as a short-term resident.

If not, the NHS direct phone number may be able to either organise you a prescription or put you in contact with a clinic who will do it.

For posting them, the Royal Mail website seems to be sending me in circles but this seems the most relevant bit "Private individuals may send medicines in prescription quantities in cases of emergency only." Although what counts as an emergency is anyone's guess, there's a phone number at the bottom of the page for questions.
elfbert 17th-Mar-2012 11:35 pm (UTC)
Were I am (Brighton) the sexual health clinic is a drop-in centre every afternoon, so if I were you I'd see if something like that existed where you are - or if it was appointment only, still drop in/call up and explain the situation.

They might be able to give you just one month without too much drama. Otherwise I'd go for the postal option. I can't believe they'd even check what was in the envelope - just get your partner to put a piece of card either side of the pills, so it's not so obvious what it is without opening the envelope, and a note inside explaining it's birth control. I'd probably also include the chemist's label, cut from the box, a return address, and maybe the doctor's address - something like that.

As a last resort I'd ask in a pharmacy - I mean, it's HBC, not prescription opioids!
okamikaze 18th-Mar-2012 12:03 am (UTC)
If you get your HBC from a general pharmacy (I'm thinking something like CVS over here in the States, but I'm not sure if you guys have something similar) you can get a prescription transferred to another store in the country. IF not, I would call the post office and ask them what the policy on shipping birth control is. Good luck!
descent2madness 18th-Mar-2012 12:47 am (UTC)
You should (theoretically) be able to transfer your prescription to any pharmacy, whether it's the same chain or not. Call your usual pharmacy and explain the situation, they should be able to instruct you what to do (here in Canada, it's a simple fax/phone call from the "new" pharmacy to the usual pharmacy to transfer things over).
anj_i_am 18th-Mar-2012 07:03 am (UTC)
There's gotta be a family planning clinic where you are. Pretty sure most towns have them. And most have walk-in clinics. I would pop to them and explain the situation and I'm sure they will help you out. Failing that, post, but personally I'd feel more comfortable getting a new lack, in case they went missing or anything.
james72 18th-Mar-2012 11:01 am (UTC)
I've had issues once or twice with dopiness relating to thyroxine medication (mine and my gp's) and Boots pharmacies have always been super helpful, sorted me out with an emergency supply, and then got in touch with the GP to provide the prescription retrospectively to cover them for what they gave me. It seemed to be a fairly standard procedure for them. Luck!
blewoutthestars 18th-Mar-2012 09:25 pm (UTC)
Most GPs will take you on as a temporary patient - I'm registered with a GP where I live, but I've been to a practice when visiting my parents more times than I can remember. Phone up the nearest NHS GP and ask if you can see a doctor as a temporary patient. Before your appointment you'll have to fill in a temporary patient form with stuff like where you're usually registered (address/doctor contact details), the address where you're staying temporarily, and how long you will be staying there. There shouldn't be a problem in them prescribing a pack for you.

(I should also add that I've had a pack of pills prescribed from my parent's docor when I ran out while I was visiting them. All she said was that she would just prescribe me a single 3-month pack instead of the multiple packs I would usually have been prescribed.)
This page was loaded Aug 31st 2016, 2:20 am GMT.