7:57 pm - 09/01/2011

Dry skin solutions?

I'm hoping you guys will have some suggestions for me...

About 5 months ago, I came down with BV. I didn't realize what was going on because, concurrently, the area immediately outside my vagina was VERY irritated, painful, and tearing very easily. When I got checked out, I was given pills to clear up the BV and a cream, nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide, for the external irritation. I used the pills as prescribed, cleared up the BV, and used the cream for 3 weeks until I was fully healed.

I was told that my being diabetic probably had a bit to do with the external irritation and that, despite one doc telling me my skin there looked good, the one I saw this time said it was not. There were only a few months in between those visits. It was recommended that I use some A&D ointment on a regular basis to keep the area protected and in better condition (hydrated? She made it seem like the area was really dry.). I don't see great results from this and I often get small yet very irritating tears around the vaginal opening and perineum from sex. It happens even when the foreplay is good and I am fully ready, and we use lube every single time now. When I get these tears, I use that cream to help clear them up, and it usually takes 3-4 days.

So, my questions to you are

1. Is there something better you can recommend to keep my skin in that area in better condition? I don't feel that the A&D does enough and I HATE the way it feels.

2. When I do get these tears, once I run out of this cream, what can I use in its place? I'm a bit weary of using an antibiotic ointment like neosporin. Should I just go back to the doc and get more?

Please keep in mind when recommending products that I am extremely sensitive to stuff. A lot of things have been known to cause YI for me. So very gentle recommendations, please.
rainbowkiwi 2nd-Sep-2011 01:52 am (UTC)
Is it at all possible that you could have an external YI? I had the same problem with tearing for months on end, until my gynecologist gave me a pill that treats YI's. I didn't have any discharge or smell, just the tearing and sensitivity.
lilmizzaniml 2nd-Sep-2011 02:10 am (UTC)
I will definitely look into that. I wonder if putting the OTC cream on externally would do the trick, too.
rainbowkiwi 2nd-Sep-2011 09:35 pm (UTC)
I tried plain yogurt to soothe, but it didn't do much. I didn't try any OTC meds, just the pill the doc gave me.
acharmedlife 2nd-Sep-2011 03:15 am (UTC)
Okay, when you say tears, what do you mean? Like, when you tried to have sex, you would tear and it would be painful?

I am having that issue right now, but I was treated for a YI and I have zero symptoms, but I am still tearing whenever I attempt sex...
rainbowkiwi 2nd-Sep-2011 09:34 pm (UTC)
Sex, masturbation, or just wiping too hard with tp. It looked almost like paper cuts surrounding my inner labia/entrance of the vagina. They would last for days.
kelsietrpt 2nd-Sep-2011 02:09 am (UTC)
If I were you, I would try a calendula salve or cream. Most health foods/natural foods stores sell these. Some are sold as diaper creams. Calendula is very nourishing, healing, and soothing. I even make some out of my own garden, and it's terrific for everything from dry skin to wounds.
gryphonwing 2nd-Sep-2011 02:37 am (UTC)
I really really hate A&D, don't even like to use it for tattoos. It's basically petrolatum, doesn't absorb, and I have no idea why people think it's good for your skin. Ew.

I have some awesome salves made of oil-and-wax blends (coconut and olive oils, beeswax, usually), with calendula or other good-for-the-skin extracts in them. I've had a few, with different textures, but they all work well.

If you have coconut oil around, you could try that all by itself. It'll feel nice and slippery, doesn't smell like A&D (or much of anything except, maybe, coconut), is mildly anti-fungal and will eventually be absorbed. :)
lilmizzaniml 2nd-Sep-2011 02:51 am (UTC)
How pricey is the coconut oil?
gryphonwing 2nd-Sep-2011 06:31 am (UTC)
Not overly in my opinion, although it depends on where you buy it. The stuff sold for cooking will work just fine. I get mine in bulk from a soap-making materials supplier (Bramble Berry) and it's $4.00 for 16 oz. In the food aisle it's more like $8 for 12 oz.

It's good for lots of things - lube (if you don't use latex) and moisturizer are the top two, although it also makes a good hair treatment. You can mix it with sugar or salt and essential oils to make an exfoliating scrub. Mixed with cocoa butter and beeswax it turns into lip balm... with the right other additives, it's wound salve. And you can use it to cook and bake. :D
acharmedlife 2nd-Sep-2011 03:16 am (UTC)
Question for you -

When you say you are tearing, what do you mean? Like, the area outside your vaginal opening (fourchette area) tears when you attempt sex? I am asking because I am having this exact issue right now, and my GP had no answers for me...
chipie 4th-Sep-2011 05:28 am (UTC)
I was having a similar problem too and the doctor recommend glaxal base (it's a very gentle cream). I have found the glaxal base to be the most effective, but I also really liked using a calendula salve. Otherwise, you could use coconut oil as suggested above, or jojoba oil.

If you need more suggestions let me know, I tried basically everything. My issue was a bit different so what helped me might not help you, but it might give you some ideas.
This page was loaded Aug 26th 2016, 11:22 pm GMT.