10:24 pm - 03/17/2008

Irritated skin from pads

So...for about six months, I stacked my pills. I started to get gnarly infections (BV or yeast infections) on a near monthly basis, so I stopped stacking my pills about two months ago, ergo, I've had two periods. Both times I've used pads, because I keep thinking that for some reason using a tampon is going to, like, I dunno, aggravate my vagina or mess up my pH and then I'll get stuck with an infection...AGAIN. I use Always Ultra-Thin pads.

The thing is...these pads are driving me fucking INSANE. My labia is all irritated and really, really itchy. Cotton-like feel, my ass! Seriously, when I run my hand in between my legs it feels like sandpaper. My poor skin!

So, what can I do to get rid of this irritation now, and what can I do in the future to prevent it?
cathubodva 18th-Mar-2008 05:36 am (UTC)
I was never able to use Always pads. The plasticky cover on them is so irritating. Try switching to some brand that says it has a cottony lining - I used Stayfree I think.
poppleshatesyou 18th-Mar-2008 05:39 am (UTC)
Many people have allergic reactions to disposable pads and from what i've read on VP Always brand has been problematic for others as well. You might want to try a different brand of disposable pad, i hear NatraCare makes nice disposable pads. Or you might want to look into using re-usable cloth pads, for more info on those check out cloth_pads you might also find this website useful as well.

As far as the discomfort now, i'd be sitting on a frozen bag of vegetable wrapped in a towel for a bit of relief.
neko_loliighoul 18th-Mar-2008 07:17 am (UTC)
you have the best tank girl icon ive seen! its amazing.
poppleshatesyou 18th-Mar-2008 07:19 am (UTC)
Thanks, its my favorite cover. :)
missinfinity 18th-Mar-2008 01:59 pm (UTC)
heh, i was just thinking i needed to stop using always. vp is so timely. :D
toshfraggle 18th-Mar-2008 03:38 pm (UTC)
I used to be able to use them but definitely cannot now. They've changed something.
missinfinity 18th-Mar-2008 04:07 pm (UTC)
they're more plasticy. ick. i get all nappy rash. so it's back to kotex or stayfree. i wish i could go back to tampons but they make my cramps worse.
melisjesus 18th-Mar-2008 07:48 pm (UTC)
Yes! Cloth pads!!
queensugar 18th-Mar-2008 05:40 am (UTC)
I find that all commercial pads cause major irritation to my vulva. Now, I use tampons, so I have no experience with this personally, but I know so many VP members rave about menstrual cups (like the DivaCup), which is thought to be a more vagina-friendly alternative to tampons, or to cloth pads. (Bonus: both of those methods are more environmentally friendly too!)

If you want to look into cloth pads, the community cloth_pads might be a great place to ask.
ksiezniczka_ 18th-Mar-2008 05:42 am (UTC)
I used Always when I would have periods. Heavy, light, medium, whatever, they all gave me what I described as a diaper rash, haha. What you described is what I had.

At first I just let it heal after a few days, but it would kind of rub me raw and hurt. I used desitin, and although it made it feel SO much better, it had kind of a gross texture after a while. So then I would use baby powder, but not til after my period was over. If you put powder on the irritated spot then a little in your underwear, it really helps you get through the day without hurting, especially if you wear jeans that rub against it.
juushika 18th-Mar-2008 06:10 am (UTC)
Talc-based powders may have a possible link to cancer, and cornstarch-based powders may promote yeast infections. The link in either case is debatable and not certain, but you and the OP may want to research them before using a powder—just to be informed. ^_^
ksiezniczka_ 18th-Mar-2008 03:58 pm (UTC)
Wow. I had no idea. I use baby powder a lot.

Thanks for the warning though.
ends_and_means 18th-Mar-2008 05:50 am (UTC)
i third the cloth pad suggestion. they feel amazing, just like regular underwear. they breathe instead of hold everything in, which is what can cause infections -- and, of course, they're less irritating.
ends_and_means 18th-Mar-2008 05:51 am (UTC)
oh and if you are interested in a cup (love mine!), check out menstrual_cups. lots of info.
dottedcircles 18th-Mar-2008 05:52 am (UTC)
I've never used anything better than a cloth pad. Check it out.
stupidforyou 18th-Mar-2008 05:53 am (UTC)
Are they scented? If they are try unscented. If not try a different brand. Or look into cloth pads. :)
courtneytm 18th-Mar-2008 10:00 am (UTC)
ia scented ones used to do this to me. then i switched to kotex when im at home and tampons for when i leave
stupidforyou 18th-Mar-2008 10:04 am (UTC)
wooaoaah You used a diff Icon. You always use the same one Paramoremusic.
courtneytm 18th-Mar-2008 10:22 am (UTC)
haha i usually only have hayley icons. and i use it till i find one i like it better. so from now on you will see this one..for a good two weeks till i want another one haha
unripe 18th-Mar-2008 06:02 am (UTC)
I use a Mooncup (UK) menstrual cup and I like it.
On the vaginal pH and tampons, your period generally goes quite a way to re-balancing your vaginal pH every month (possibly one reason why the infections were occurring when you were stacking) and so you shouldn't mess it up too much with tampons. I'm a diabetic and extremely yeast-prone and I've never had a problem - ditto with the Mooncup (something I was a little worried about at the start) which (given that it's a take-out, empty, rinse, put-back thing) would seem to be a bit of a risk. I say try tampons or a cup (cup is about $45AU (that's Aussie dollars) on the net.
bookwormsarah 18th-Mar-2008 09:48 am (UTC)
I've just started using a UK Mooncup and it works like a charm. For the itchy burny feeling, I use nappy rash cream, which is inexpensive, not usually chemically, and is wonderfully soothing. I made the mistake of using handlotion when really desperate and *ouch* never doing that again.
freshgroundfemm 18th-Mar-2008 12:42 pm (UTC)
Almost all commercial pads irritate me, especially Always, they're so plasticky. I found that the Ultras irritated me more than the regular ones. I think it probably has something to do with the extra chemicals they add to make them "ultra" absorbent. I use cloth pads now and Natracare ones when traveling and don't have that problem. If you don't want to use a cup or switch to cloth pads I would try a different brand that have cotton or another breathable fabric instead of plastic.

Edited at 2008-03-18 12:43 pm (UTC)
sparkle_lite 18th-Mar-2008 12:53 pm (UTC)
Diaper rash cream will really help you! It sounds weird, but a doc recommended it when I had a YI once, and I'm hooked on the stuff. Get the thick stuff like Desitin and just take a tiny little amount and apply it to your skin at night before bed or whenever you can. You might find that you'll feel a little better after just using it once!

I also switched to cloth pads and a silicone cup last year, because every month I suffered like you are from Always. (it was my favorite brand, and I could never switch, but they irritated me after too long.) Since using cloth I haven't had the dreaded 'diaper rash' since!
mercy_rain 18th-Mar-2008 02:11 pm (UTC)
Agreeing with the others who suggest cloth pads - heck with "cotton-like," go with real cotton! :) There are lots of people selling them on Etsy, too.
unprotectedrex 18th-Mar-2008 02:49 pm (UTC)
I would always get serious rashes on my vulva (and they were painful!) from wearing pads. as everyone else is suggesting, I would look into cloth pads ( one place I know of - http://www.lunapads.com ) or even a menstrual cup... I have been using one for three years and I absolutely love it, it has changed the way I feel about my period forever (like, I no longer completely dread getting it)!
as_she_melts 18th-Mar-2008 06:21 pm (UTC)
I was always extremely irritated by commercial pads and tampons (I cringe just thinking about that feeling of having papercuts in my vagina), and have been pleased beyond belief about my decision to switch to a Diva Cup and cloth pads. I use the cup for the heavy days, and a cloth liner for the light ones. Works like a charm, plus there's a lot less waste. I feel so much better about my period--it sounds strange, but I'm a lot more comfortable with my body since starting with a cup. Anyway, it's worth checking out--there are a lot of great links in this thread already.
rogue0703 18th-Mar-2008 09:40 pm (UTC)
I don't have any suggestions for the pain right now, but my suggestion would be going and getting cloth pads. I bought mine through gladrags.com and used them for the first time through an entire cycle last week..... it's a huge change, and helped a lot.
TightenVagina Skin pads have chemicals23rd-Sep-2011 04:24 am (UTC)
girl be careful what you put on your most private parts! it can be very sensitive, I only use the best cream for my vajayjay my hubby loves to rub it in for me :) http://tighteningthevagina.com/vagina-tightening-cream-intivar-review I would try this it has lots of natural herbs that support vagina health.
emily patel rashes7th-Aug-2015 05:10 pm (UTC)
I am not sure what you can do but I can tell u that vagisil helps a lot or Replens vaginal moisturizer because of my own experience I get rashes like that all the time when I am in my period and I feel you and I also think u should check it out with a doctor and I had yeast infection once too when I was about 13 years old

Edited at 2015-08-07 05:12 pm (UTC)
This page was loaded Apr 27th 2017, 6:53 pm GMT.